Elaine is actively engaged in contributing to universities as sites of fairness, equity, diversity, and inclusion. For instance, she works to advance initiatives that support marginalized students to mitigate generational poverty. With a focus on the sociology of higher education, Elaine is knowledgeable about the historic and contemporary complexities that shape Canadian universities.
As a student, teacher, mentor-mentee, and researcher, Elaine is well-versed in self- and student-advocacy. She leverages her lived experiences, research, and knowledge mobilization to support students and university communities-at-large—across disciplines—to continue to build fair and socially just higher educational landscapes.
- 10+ years lived experiences and knowledge supporting marginalized students—and, university communities-at-large, to build inclusive educational landscapes;
- 15+ years of experience in communications, investigating and reporting of challenges facing private- and public-sector organizations;
- Known for identifying problems/opportunities and developing effective solutions;
- An empathetic and relational leader who is sensitive to the complexity of how lives are shaped by multiple social characteristics;
- Known as a community builder and connector of people;
- Respected for abilities to identify needs, negotiate and facilitate conflict resolution, navigate complex institutional structures and policies, and communicate with multiple stakeholders;
- Acknowledged for ongoing applied activities to foster fairness, equity, diversity, and inclusion in Canadian universities and colleges;
- 5+ years focusing on the sociology of higher education and undergraduate and graduate school trends and challenges;
- Known for a commitment to knowledge mobilization for social change.
Attributes and Skills
Connection: Recognised as a community builder who is respected for working toward addressing systemic inequality and inequity to remove barriers to access and participation in society. Believes strongly working together to meet the needs of their communities.
Communication: An excellent communicator, presenter and collaborator who engages effectively and comfortably with diverse stakeholders. Creates award-winning, results-focused marketing with exceptional communications and knowledge-mobilization talents. Approaches research, communications and community-building from a decolonial, GBA+ and intersectional lens including social class.
Contribution: Known for innovation in advancing initiatives and supporting institutional visions at the strategic and operational levels. Respected for creativity in identifying problems, strategies and objectives—and, developing creative, successful solutions.
Coordination: 15+ years of experience in designing and managing projects, protocols, recruitment strategies, events and strategic initiatives.
Collaboration: Actively engaged in decolonising practices, recognised and appreciated for conflict management, facilitation and collaboration talents. Successful at working with individuals, groups, committees and organizations (government, education and private sector). Known for generating enhanced community participation in for-profit and not-for-profit strategic planning.